Teach students about the possibilities of what can be achieved after they earn a high school diploma. By introducing students to your profession, you are helping to create real-world connections between the classroom and their future careers.
What can you do?
- Talk to students about your work and career path. Invite a local middle or high school class to your office and teach them about your company.
- Explain how you apply your education to your profession. Share your skills with students. Make connections between what students are learning in the classroom and the real world.
- Provide an internship to a student.
- Exposing youth to information about different careers and people in those careers, especially people with whom they can identify, can help them consider a broader range of careers, gain a better understanding of the related job requirements and increase the likelihood of them pursuing those careers. High school students often do not have information about the various educational requirements for different jobs. (Source)
- It is estimated that by 2020, more than 65% of US jobs will require postsecondary education and training beyond high school. (Source)
- Schools with large populations of minority students frequently offer their students fewer opportunities to take challenging courses that prepare them for college and career, allow them to apply to more selective colleges, and earn college credits in advance, saving time and money on college tuition. (Source)
|Born This Way Foundation, launched in 2012 by Lady Gaga and her mother Cynthia Germanotta, is committed to supporting the wellness of young people and empowering them to create a kinder and braver world.|
|First Lady's Reach Higher Initiative The Reach Higher Initiative is the First Lady's effort to inspire every student in America to take charge of their future by completing their education past high school, whether at a professional training program, a community college, or a four-year college or university. In today's economy a high school diploma just isn't enough. Students have to reach higher, which is why the First Lady is working to rally the country around the President's "North Star" goal - that by 2020, America will once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world.|
|Junior Achievement Brings the real world to students through hands-on curriculum delivered by a trained classroom volunteer.|
|My Brother's Keeper A collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach to build ladders of opportunity and unlock the full potential of our young people, including boys and young men of color.|
|The Opportunity Network Levels the playing field for low-income high school and college students by providing access to college and career success.|
|Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence Emotions drive learning, decision making, creativity, relationships and health. The Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence uses the power of emotions to create a more effective and compassionate society. The Center conducts research and teaches people of all ages how to develop their emotional intelligence.|