Studies show that access to afterschool and summer programs enrich a child’s learning experience and keep them engaged at school. Support a program that gives students access to learning opportunities beyond the classroom.
What can you do?
- Find an existing local youth program that aligns with your interests and skills, such as reading, sports, chess, debate, drama, technology or art. Get involved with a program taking place after school, on weekends or during the summer at a school or community organization.
- Volunteer with youth at a local organization like a museum, library, zoo or cultural center.
- Only 18% of children grades K-12 participate in afterschool programs. More than 20% of school-age children (11.3 million) are on their own after school, including more than 800,000 in grades K-5. (Source)
- Regular participation in high quality afterschool programs has been linked to improved attendance, better grades, improved class participation, better standardized test scores, and higher graduation rates. (Source, source)
- Structured learning environments outside the school day, including after school programs, have been linked to higher rates of school attendance, improved attitudes toward school, and lower dropout rates. (Source)
- Teens who do not participate in afterschool programs are up to three times more likely to skip classes and use drugs than teens who participate, and teens who do not participate are more likely to drink alcohol, smoke, and engage in sexual activity than teens who participate. (Source)
|Boys and Girls Clubs of America Enables all young people to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens.|
|Enchanted Circle Theater Works in public schools, pre-schools, university classrooms, professional theaters, museums, and human service agencies with people of all ages and abilities.|
|Get Schooled is a national non-profit founded on the belief that students themselves have the power to improve their future if given the right information and motivation. Get Schooled leverages the key influences in teens’ lives to directly motivate them to stay committed to graduating from high school and going on to college. Since their founding in mid-2010, Get Schooled has reached millions and engaged hundreds of thousands – motivating and delivering a unique mix of entertainment and value to teens across the nation.|
|Girl Scouts of the USA Youth organization for girls in the United States and American girls living abroad.|
|Green Bronx Machine Impact-driven, for-purpose nonprofit organization rooted in the belief that we are all Amer-I-Cans!|
|Horizons National||Horizons National Transformational, community-centered program that creates confident, college- and career-bound youth prepared for their future.|
|VH1 Save the Music Foundation Committed to ensuring that music instruction is a core component to a complete education, giving children the tools and confidence to excel in academics and in life.|